COVID 19 Protocols for In Studio Classes
Safety Procedures & Protocols for Students
Before Entering the Studio:
- No Indoor Waiting Room: the waiting room will be closed until we are out of Phase 3. Outdoor, undercover waiting areas will be created as waiting areas for students prior to class.
- Reduced Change Rooms: Students are encouraged to arrive to class already dressed in their dance uniform. Because we must sanitize between each student, use of change rooms are limited to emergency situations.
- Bring your own Water: Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle to class from home. For health and safety reason, there will be no water refill options at the studio. Emergency Single Use Water Bottles are available if necessary.
- Hand Sanitization: Students will be provided hand sanitizer upon entry into the studio.
- Covid Symptom Survey: Students (or parents of younger students) will be asked to answer verbally the Covid Symptoms Survey before entering. Parents may also fill these answers out in our online survey instead if completed before 2pm on the day your child is attending. (Online Survey Here)
While in the Studio:
- Hand Sanitization: Students will be provided with hand sanitizer during class to maintain sanitization
- Personal cubbies will be provided for each student in the studio during their class time. Cubbies are fully sterilized between each use. Students are encouraged to only bring the personal belongings needed for their classes with them and leave extra items at home.
- PPE Available: PPE will be available to any students who wish to wear it and do not have their own. Teachers will be wearing Mask or Face Shields during class.
- Socially Distanced Spaces: Each studio floor will be marked with tape to create 6 x 6 foot squares. Each dancer will dance within their own square and in doing so maintain a social distance of 6 feet on all sides. The perimeter of the room will also be marked with 6 foot spaces to that dancers can maintain social distance as they practice one by one across the floor exercises.
- Tumbling Class Sanitization: students will be required to use hand sanitizer at the beginning and at the end of each tumbling pass along the tumble track or designated tumbling line.
- Aerial Silk Sanitization: Students will be assigned their own personal sanitized Silk for every class. All silks will be fully sanitized between classes.
- Partner Work: In Phase 3 we are permitted to allow students to train partner work (touch their partner as long as they keep the same partner, up to a maximum of 2 partners for the season) through out the season or until we reach Phase 4, in order to minimize their exposure. However, at this time, Dance Works will not be permitting partner work in the majority of classes. The only exception will be in higher level competitive classes or with students who are family members. In such cases parents will be informed ahead of time and students will only be permitted with parent permission and with wearing PPE in certain circumstances.
Safety Procedures & Protocols Implemented by DWA Staff
Class & Staff Safety Protocols & Procedures:
- Reduced Class Sizes: Class sizes will be reduced by 40-60% this season (Approx. 6 - 8 students per class) in order to meet Health & Safety requirement.
- Staggered Class Times: Class times will be staggered to reduce the amount of students coming in and out of the studio at one time.
- Reduced Exposure to other Classes: The class scheduled will be structured with back to back classes as much as possible so students taking multiple classes can stay in the same room with the same group of class mates while the teachers will travel between this reducing exposure.
- Dance Bubbles: We are scheduling class groupings in a way to maximize the concept of dance bubbles. Having students train with the same classmates as much as possible therefore reducing their overall exposure.
- Custom Dance Bubbles: We are offering class options for friend groups to create their own custom classes. Contact our office for more info: email@example.com
- Increased Air Flow: Exterior air flow will be introduced in each studio room during classes.
- Frequent Hand Sanitization: Teachers will facilitate multiple hand sanitization opportunities during each class.
- Teachers Wear PPE: Teachers and staff will wear masks or face shields during class.
- Increased Staff Training: Teachers & staff have received additional safety training related to Covid Health & Safety.
- Increased Signage: Increased signage around the studio give reminders for Covid safety and protocols.
- Teacher Temperature Checks: Teachers will take daily temperature checks with the studios Point & Shoot Digital Thermometer before entering the studio for their shift.
- Socially Distanced Choreography & Class Plans: Choreography & training will be designed to comply with social distancing but also be flexible so that it can revert to less socially distanced format whenever that time comes.
Cleaning Procedures – Dance Works Safety Protocols
- High Touch Surface Cleaning: All high touch surfaces will be sanitized between each class
- Equipment Cleaning: All equipment (Mats, blocks, etc) will be sanitized between each student
- Frequent Floor Sanitization: All floors will be sanitized between dance groups (when new students arrive in class). Some class times will be reduced by approximately 10 minutes in order to accommodate sanitization procedures.
- Increased Cleaning After Hours: Extra cleaning and disinfecting will be done each night when students leave
- Daily FOGGER Disinfecting of Studio: Dance Works will be using a disinfecting FOGGER each day to fully sanitize every hard and soft surface in the studio. Foggers provide hospital grade sanitization that is 100% biodegradable, Environmentally friendly, Non toxic and safe. It will reduce our need to use Chemical disinfectants and will provide a full coverage application at the micron level.
- Increase Bathroom Cleaning: Bathrooms will be designated to one particular studio room in order to reduce exposure to students in different classes. Bathrooms will be sanitized between each use.
Sickness Policies – Q & A
- What if my child is ill: If your child has any of the Covid symptoms they will be asked to refrain from attending in studio classes until either 14 days have passed since the onset of symptoms or a doctors note is provided clearing them of Covid infection before the 14 day incubation period is over. We also ask that you inform the studio of your childs absence due to symptoms so that we can provide contact tracing if necessary and also so we can keep track of which students need make up class options or would like to attend Zoom while away from the studio. (see below for more info)
- What are my options if my child misses class due to illness: We have several options in place. We will be providing some bonus classes through out the season as make up opportunities for students who have missed classes due to illness. We also offer ZOOM access to classes so that students who may only have mild symptoms can attend via Zoom instead. Please see the Sick Day Options on our Parent Page on the website to sign up for Zoom or Make Up Classes.
- What happens if my child’s class has a students or teacher with a confirmed case of Covid 19: If a student or teacher in your childs is confirmed to have Covid 19, you will be notified by DWA staff about the possible exposure. The class, its students & teachers will not be permitted to come to the studio for a 14 day period or until cleared by a doctor, if that happens before the 14 day period. The teacher will offer Zoom classes as an option or 2 make up classes for the 2 weeks of missed classes. You will have both options to choose from. We will be actively reassessing our procedures as the season progresses and will increase or ease these policies at the advice of the health board of BC. You will be informed and updated of any changes to procedure over the season.
- What happens if a child or teacher becomes unwell during class: Because of our increased screening policies, we feel the risk of this situation is low. However, if a child or teacher starts to feel unwell during class, we have the following procedures in place:
the waiting room away from their classmates until a parent or guardian can
pick them up.
- If a teacher falls ill during class, they will leave the studio and a substitute or
teachers assistant will replace them for the remainder of the day.
- You will be notified by email to inform you of a ill child or teacher leaving
- If necessary, the class will be cleared for 10 minutes so a fogging
sanitization can take place and then students will be welcomed back into